The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Dusk watch

19th December 2017

After seeing the Bittern at Whitlingham I hurried round to Thorpe to see if my luck would continue. I spent a bit of time listening for the Bearded Tit(s) (one had been seen by the RSPB Strumpshaw volunteers on 13th, and two had been heard in November by Mark C). With no sight or sound I continued on to the marsh where I waited until just past sunset to see if anything emerged or roosted. A handful of Meadow Pipits flew in and a Snipe flew out, but that was about it. I left before dark though, so perhaps more would have happened then. Several Water Rails squealed (I managed to see one of them) and several Cetti's Warblers were also giving subdued bursts of sub-song.

No comments:

Post a Comment