The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

NORWICH: Castle Gardens Bee-wolves

22nd August 2017

A couple of years ago I went to the Castle Gardens in the centre of Norwich to see my first Bee-wolf, a type of wasp that attacks Honey Bees. Last year I called in once to have a look, but the area seemed to be a bit overgrown so I thought the colony may have been lost. I was recently asked if they were still present, so on Tuesday I decided to go for lunch in the gardens and check. Pleasingly they were still there. The conditions were overcast so there wasn't much activity, but I saw three individuals and there were many more holes. A reminder that I should make more of my time at lunch or after work as there is a lot of wildlife to see around the city.



No comments:

Post a Comment