The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available here.

NORFOLK: Some wildlife snippets

w/c 5th July 2017

I'm not actively participating in the Wildlife Trust's 30 days wild thingy, but if I was, then the following observations (mostly around Norwich) would have been of note.

Lesser Black-backed and Herring Gulls have been moving into towns and cities for some time now - last week I noticed these LBB Gulls mating on a flat roof in the city centre.


When Cathy & I found a beetle on its back in our porch, the most likely species would have been one of the violet ground beetles. However, when I turned it over (carefully - look at the jaws!) it was a Lesser Stag Beetle.


I regularly walk down Lakenham Way, and there are quite a few different types of Cranesbill growing there. This group can be tricky to identify, but this is a relatively easy one because of the nice pattern, called Pencilled Cranesbill.


On Friday Karl and I went to a beer festival at Buxton Church as part of the Twelve Towers Festival. Beer was supplied by Wildcraft Brewery, who are particularly into foraging for ingredients. Three of the beers I tried contained foraged ingredients - the pictured one was made using Sloes, whilst I also tried beers containing Stinging Nettles and Yarrow. The Sloe one was nicest (although one using cherries got Karl's vote).


No comments:

Post a Comment