The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2016 is now available to download here.

The previous reports are also availble: 2015 here,
2014 report here and the 2013 report here. Thanks to everyone who has contributed sightings, information and photos to these reports.

You may also be interested in Chris Durdin's Thorpe Marsh Wildlife Report for 2016, which is available http://www.honeyguide.co.uk/documents/ThorpeMarshesWildlifeReport2016.pdf

NORWICH: Golden garden invertebrates

April 2017

We've yet to start planting up our garden, but there are a few things left over, mostly Dandelions. It was on one of these that I noticed an interesting looking insect earlier this week. It had a wide abdomen made up of golden bands, and I recognised it as a species of Sawfly. It seemed a bit dopy, so I was able to guide it onto my hand for a closer look. I identified it as Honeysuckle Sawfly, but as this species wasn't on the last Norfolk Sawfly list (compiled in 2000) I asked county recorded Tony Irwin to confirm my ID, which he did. So far I have only heard of one earlier Norfolk record, seen in Beeston Common in 2015, so this was an excellent garden sighting.



The following day I noticed a moth had landed on the outside of the living room window. I went outside and caught it, and after a closer look I was able to identify it as a Sulphur Tubic (Esperia sulphurella), a reasonably common but attractive moth.


No comments:

Post a Comment