The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Odonata and a Clouded Yellow dip

21st August 2013

Having been too busy to go Clouded Yellow hunting earlier in the month I was particularly keen to get to Thorpe Marsh where Ricky had just seen one on the marsh. Cathy & Margaret dropped me off and I joined Ricky trying to locate it, unfortunately with no joy. Small Tortoiseshells were everywhere, along with a number of dragonfly species (Ruddy Darter, Migrant Hawker, Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker) and Emerald Damselflies. A Swift briefly hawked insects over the marsh, and Lapwing numbers peaked at 26. I'm still hopeful of catching up with Clouded Yellow before the summer is out - I would appreciate details of any you may see in the Norwich area!

Emerald Damselfly
Ruddy Darter

No comments:

Post a Comment