The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Flooded

5th January 2013

Knowing that Thorpe Marsh was rather waterlogged, I donned my wellies for a trip out. I diverted through Rosary Cemetery and Lion Wood on my way, hoping to add Nuthatch and Treecreeper to my Foot It list, but this seems to be going down the pan really. A yaffling Green Woodpecker was the lone addition from my detour. Some Winter Heliotrope was in flower, as was a very early Primrose. Reaching Thorpe I heard and then saw a Great-spotted Woodpecker in a tall conifer by the railway line, whilst a Cetti's Warbler gave a brief burst of song to the right of the path. A Lesser Redpoll was showing well in some nearby Alders, before flying off over my head.

Winter Heliotrope

I waded through the gateway, congratulating myself on my choice of footwear (this didn't last, I had a rather large blister on my heel by the time I'd got home). The water level on the scrape was a bit high for waders, and accordingly the only bird I saw here was a Snipe. Further round a Meadow Pipit flew up out of the tussocky grass, whilst Greenfinch and Song Thrush were new to the 2013 patch list. Quite a few ducks were on the broad, including 27 Pochard and 42 Tufted Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment