The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

THORPE MARSH: Skylark & Norfolk Hawkers

29th June 2012

I popped down to Thorpe Marsh in the afternoon, hoping that the sunshine would bring out a Red Kite or two.  Walking along towards the style an Emperor dragonfly flew over to a pool beside the path, and a couple of Norfolk Hawkers were patrolling the ditch.  I spotted Paul sat on the fence, and stopped for a chat as we scanned over the marshes.  Part way through our conversation I became aware of a singing Skylark nearby, and I was enjoying the song when it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't seen one on the patch this year (or ever at Thorpe).  It was actually a patch year tick for both of us, taking me up to 105 and Paul to 96.

After Paul had gone I continued my way around the site, seeing a Little Ringed Plover and 6 Lapwings on the scrape.  There were more Norfolk Hawkers and a female Black-tailed Skimmer over the ditches, and my first Red Admiral of the year flew along the riverbank path.  Part way round I caught up with Reg Land, who was having a look round to help him come up with a management plan for the site.  There was little else of interest on the way back to the footbridge, but I did get good views of a Peregrine flying along Thorpe Road on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment