The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

YARE VALLEY: Cantley SEO

20th March 2012

Another sunny day, and I was on my way home from work when I got a call asking if I wanted to go and look for the Glossy Ibis at Cantley.  Parking up at the bowling green car park I didn't realise that we were still on Station Road, so instead of following the road down to the end and having some crippling views of the Ibis, we instead walked back to the corner and followed the footpath down to the riverbank.  Of course at the time I didn't know we were in the wrong place, so I simply assumed the birds had gone to roost.  Regardless of this rather major oversight it was still a lovely evening in the Yare Valley.  Three Chinese Water Deer walked brazenly across the marshes, whilst the bird of the evening was a Short-eared Owl working its way along the marsh edges.  A bit later a Barn Owl also emerged, and a Marsh Harrier flew over the river nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment