The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

WHITLINGHAM: Three Smew

15th February 2012

Another visit to Whitlingham this morning in the drizzle.  Level with the island I saw two adult male Goldeneye, making a nice contrast with the rather scruffy 1st-winters that have been present the past few weeks.  Past the island a redhead Goosander, presumably the same one I saw at Thorpe yesterday, was swimming past a group of Tufted Duck.  Just like yesterday I momentarily looked away and it had disappeared into the ether.  Not much going on in the conservation area, but I found a big mutilated fish on the riverbank path (if anyone can tell me what it is or what killed it then please leave a comment).  Further round I found the two Smew that were reported yesterday swimming past a raft of Common Gulls.  As the rain started up again I checked the treetops for Mistle Thrushes (one of the old country names is "Storm cock" after its habit of sitting at the top of trees singing during storms) but it obviously wasn't stormy enough.  Finally before leaving I scanned the broad again and found a third Smew, matching my highest count from Feb 2010.



4 comments:

  1. Its on Otter, they like eating the insides of some fish better than the meat. Carp are a prime example of that as many Carp fisheries would tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, and thanks also to Tony for identifying the fish as a Common Bream. Yeah I've given up reading the EDP letters page because of all of the Otter letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quick lunchtime circuit of Thorpe Broad at lunchtime. Families enjoying a walk around and quiz at NWT event.
    No misbehaving dogs - or rather no thoughtless dog owners!

    Dunlin not seen. Fiur stock doves, thirty or so lapwing and a vocal male reed bunting. The last suggesting spring is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Reed Bunting was presumably newly arrived, I'm yet to see one at Thorpe or Whitlingham, although last year I think the first to arrive was the one that takes up territory near the bird screen at Whitlingham in early March.

    ReplyDelete