The Whitlingham Bird Report for 2023 is now available to download from the Bird Reports page or from here

5 more to go

27th April 2010
.
Aiming to make the most of the warm weather I set out after work to try to nudge my Whitlingham list closer to the 100 mark. Upon arrival at Thorpe Marsh I saw a blue mini parked up, but thought it couldn't possibly be Adam & Laura, I mean, they were at work. I went and sat on the edge of the cattle pound for about 20 minutes, watching the scrape whilst listening for Grasshopper Warbler or Cuckoo. I heard neither, but was able to see 2 Snipe, a Green Sandpiper, Little Ringed Plover and a pair of Stock Doves go about their business before I moved on. There was little about on the grassy area, the Wheatear invasion appears to have predictably fizzled out before it reached here.
.
Continuing on my lap, taking care on the soft ground (the recent rain has soaked in rather than sitting on the surface, giving a false impression of dryness!) I scanned the spit from the rather pointless bird screen. The only waders on the spit were three Oystercatchers, but patch bird number 94 for the year, a Whitethroat, flew across my path and onto a reed stem. It wasn't long until I found another, in brambles on the riverbank. So far I have seen Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat all in literally the same 10 feet area that they were last year. How's that for precision? Scanning from the moored boats I saw a brown wader in flight, this time with no white rump and white wingbars. It landed next to another, and Common Sandpiper was on the list (95). It turns out Adam had indeed got out of work and seen some Avocets before I got there, I really need to get me some of that flexible working. On the walk home a flock of around 20 Swifts screeched overhead as they flew towards the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment